10/11/09

Costume Closet 08: Irma Vep


Running a little late on the costumes this weekend, so I'll be posting four today. This first one is Irma Vep, femme fatale from the 1915 French film series Les Vampires, as played by actress Musidora. She's probably the only woman I've ever seen in a movie who I actually look like.

For this costume I mainly focused on the makeup, wearing no foundation and darkening the lips, eyes and eyebrows to resemble the crazy amounts of makeup needed in early silent films. The jacket and belt are, of course, not quite period, but hopefully they evoke a little of the "teens" style.

One more shot after the jump.




4 comments:

  1. Oh dear God! I thought it was Musidora!

    That is really you? Wow!

    Will you marry me???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your a delightful woman, and you very much resemble the lovely creature that was Musidora. My hat is off to you :) ~james vep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je me suis laissé prendre....
    Ca marche vraiment !
    J'ai vraiment cru avoir affaire à une photo de Musidora..les yeux et les cheveux.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read a book called "Musidora, un certain regard" issued one month ago. You can buy it on Ebay. At page 64, there is the second photo above presented as a picture of the real Musidora. Big congratulations !!!

    ReplyDelete